[Felvtalk] Cleaning? Retesting?

Lorraine Johnston johnston1110 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 22 17:28:06 CST 2019

Thank you, Christine.  So far Baby has been only in the studio, completely isolated, when she visits us. It never occurred to me to do otherwise, not only because of felv but to avoid other contagious illnesses as well.

It typically takes us months to merge new cats into our setting. We go very slowly to avoid stress-related illnesses and spraying. So merging Baby in with ours for just a stay of a week or two would not be worth the tumult in the whole household.

It’s a luxury to be able to keep her separate and I’m grateful that I can. If I used the studio (which I don’t do when she’s here) I’d have to move her to another room because the equipment in the studio is dangerous for cats.

And I agree with your approach to the kitten. Sometimes circumstances are such that they are better off together. If I had two who were very attached to each other, and one turned up positive, I would not separate them.

I have a similar dilemma with our FIV kitty Cyril. He has a buddy, Micky, who is totally in love with Cyril. But Cyril had several birth defects (*) in addition to FIV, and has only one eye left. Micky plays very roughly, and I’m afraid Cyril will lose that eye to an injury. So I only allow them together when I can supervise them, and not because of the FIV. I make sure Micky gets plenty of other exercise first. I expect Micky will outgrow the roughness; he’s only 3.5 years old.

* A constellation of 7 birth defects can occur together in cats, including eye defects, multiple cardio problems, undescended testes, kinked tail, and some limb abnormalities.  Cyril got the eyes and the testes. But golly, he sure is cute!

- Lorraine

"Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine."  - Alan Turing