[Felvtalk] Grieving, and need to understand about felv

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Fri Nov 27 18:49:13 CST 2015

Amani, I think you already hit on the reasons for refusal earlier - the
report about potential liver damage, but probably the bigger reason is
that humans try to get hold of it for themselves to use illicitly.

What percentage of your cats that got Winstrol were FeLV+, and how many
got it for other conditions?

It's too late for Peaches (FeLV negative with multiple myeloma), my
little princess angel that passed on Sunday.  I had considered it for
her anemia, but the oncologist suggested waiting until we knew how much
she would recover just from coming off chemo. Otherwise, we wouldn't
know what Winstrol did and what changing her treatment did.  But even
though her bone marrow was starting to bounce back a little, her kidneys
went into acute failure, with BUN and creatinine so high their machine
had difficulty giving an accurate reading, and they sent it to another
lab on campus.  She was on fluids and a feeding tube over the weekend,
and they were being cautious, but the fluids still began to put too much
strain on her heart so they had to stop the fluids.  She was such a good
girl, they didn't even have an e-collar on her.  Unless they took it off
for visiting purposes...but I think I asked someone, and they told me
she was doing OK without one.

Marsha