[Felvtalk] QUESTION

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Sat Feb 23 10:18:06 CST 2019

Hi Nancy

She could definitely be a carrier. I wouldn’t be concerned as long as her blood work is okay. Keep a close eye on her gums, inside of the ears, and pads to watch for any paleness which might signify anemia.

I don’t think she NEEDS any help right now, but you might consider trying her on a long course of Doxycycline to see if maybe you can eliminate the virus. I have no idea if it would work, but in the three-pronged treatment I recommend, I believe that Doxycycline is blocking viral replication of the FeLV virus. If your vet is willing, you could try the Doxycycline – I would think at least 6 weeks – and then wait a while and test her again for FeLV. If you give it a shot and it works, let the rest of us know.

Amani