[Felvtalk] Feline Leukemia How Contagious?

Lorrie felinerescue at frontier.com
Thu Jul 2 12:21:41 CDT 2015

I have wondered exactly the same thing. I've had two FelV+ cats with
my other 8 neg. cats for over 5 years. They neg. cats were vaccinated
only once, and none have ever gotten sick.  Of the 2 FelV + cats,
one lived to the age of 7 and suddenly died with no prior illness.
The other 7 year old cat (her sister) is still fine.  One of my vets
told me it was very difficult for a grown cat to get FelV, but a
kitten born with it from a positive mother almost always dies.

I had a litter of 4 pos. kittens and all of them died during the
first year of their lives. It was terribly heart breaking.

Lorrie