[Felvtalk] Harley is in the hospital

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Sun Dec 14 22:02:41 CST 2014

Harley developed this cough, where sometimes he gags or sometimes it's
like a whole-body hiccup.  Much of the time he crouches or sits all the
way up to get more comfortable.  He won't eat now, because the smell of
food makes him gag, and it's uncomfortable to swallow.   He does not
have any nasal symptoms, and his breathing is not labored.  Blood work
looks pretty normal, but I do notice a downward trend in his platelet
counts.  Still above the danger zone, but he's had 3 tests this year,
and each platelet number has been lower. Vets are thinking upper
respiratory infection.  He is in the hospital on IV fluid, ampicillin
sulbactum for antibiotic, and has been given maropitant, sucralfate, and
buprenorphine.   Poor little guy is too uncomfortable to get any sleep.
If he won't eat by morning, I'll talk to the Dr. about an NG tube for
feeding.  No fever.  I am worried about some kind of tumor that might be
in his esophagus, but we'd have to do some imaging for that.  For now,
we wait, and see if his cough gets better or worse.

Marsha