[Felvtalk] Rabies Shots for Harley

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Fri Aug 15 15:25:54 CDT 2014

Harley leaped into the air and knocked the bat down; it was stunned but
quickly recovered and flew away. I never saw it again.  I'm not sure if
it got back outside, or if it died in a hidden spot in the garage.  I
looked for it and also watched Harley to see if he noticed where it
went, but he didn't seem to know either.  I am going to be rearranging
the garage in the next few weeks, so I will probably find it if it never
got out.  But if it had died in the garage, I think it would have
created a stink, or Harley would have found it, and either played with
it, or ate it.  Rabies can be transmitted by eating the raw meat of a
dead rabid animal, or handling the meat with bare hands if you have an
open sore or cut.   Yes, it's true that only a small percentage of bats
carry rabies - 1 to 4% or even less, depending on location and
species.   A cat can't tell you whether it's been bitten, and even
humans don't always know if they were asleep when they were bitten.
Even awake, people don't always know, because bat teeth are so tiny and
sharp that they don't always leave a mark.  A man in Monticello, MN died
of rabies a few years back after shooing a bat out of his cabin.  He
felt a sharp pain on his finger, but looked, and saw no blood or mark,
and thought nothing more of it.  A month later, he developed symptoms of
rabies, and a couple weeks after that he was dead.  It took a while to
diagnose because it is so rare in the US that most doctors (99.9%) will
never see a case.  Third world doctors are much more familiar with human
cases (50,000 and more human fatalities a year in the rest of the world).

My plan with Harley is to vaccinate for rabies every 2-3 years or if I
see a bat in the garage.  He will receive no other vaccinations, though
he did have the distemper combo as a kitten. I also make sure I separate
vaccinations (except the combo) so as not to hit his immune system with
all at once.  When his FeLV begins to progress, he will no longer
receive any vaccines at all.

Dumb thing about the calicivirus part of the combo - it doesn't protect
against all strains of calicivirus!  A local vet posts an anonymous
"case of the week" online for people to try to guess, and that's what a
recent one was.  The cat was healthy and vaccinated, and was exposed to
a different strain of it, and became extremely ill.

There is a soffit on the garage that needs to be repaired.  It's on my
project list.  I should probably make it a higher priority, since it
will soon be the time of year that a bat will want to seek shelter for
the winter.  But I only ever saw that one bat in the garage.

Marsha