[Felvtalk] My 11.50 year old cat Kitty diagnosed with FeLV......

JASON VOGT jason.vogt1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 09:26:40 CST 2022

Thank you very much for your detailed response Amani.  You obviously have a lot of experience treating both FeLV+ cats and kittens.  He (Kitty) will be 12 years old this coming Spring or Summer.  Thank you also Kat.  I remember taking him (Kitty) in from outside when he was one year old.  I am positive the Vet. did a FeLV test on him then and it was negative at one year old.  It surprised me him (Kitty) being diagnosed this old with FeLV.
I had an 11.50 year old cat (Mork - indoor only who I got from a shelter as a kitten) who died in 2014 of FIP (also diagnosed with it very late at age 11).  I am not sure how these 2 older cats of mine contracted these diseases and how Mork died from it late in life.  Does an older cat's immune system get much weaker as they age?
The 11.50 female  indoor only cat (Snow White) appears just fine.  I took her in from outside the same time as Kitty at one year old.  She tested negative for FeLV at one year old also.
Thank you very much again,
Jason