[Felvtalk] My 11 and 1/2 year old indoor only male cat was diagnosed with FeLV....

JASON VOGT jason.vogt1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 1 09:08:54 CST 2022

Hello,
My 11 and 1/2 year old indoor only cat, Kitty, was diagnosed with FeLV this past Monday at my Veterinarians.  I am not sure when or how he contracted it.  He was very sick and threw up 4 times in about 4 hours last Saturday morning (a white foam throw up), then stopped eating and had trouble breathing and could not sleep.  Vet. gave him IV fluids (he was dehydrated) and the antibiotic shot (Convenia injection).  He has been doing really well since then though.  He is back to his regular self.
I have another 11 and 1/2 year old female cat indoor only also.  She has been fine.  No symptoms.  I have a large barn outdoors, and in the past several years I have let other cats and kittens into the house in a separate room (but Kitty likes to go in and smell around after I put the cats/kittens back outside).  He played with one kitten a few months ago, too.
My Vet. says there is nothing she can do.  I plan on keeping things very clean inside and not stressing him out any.  I plan on going back for another Convenia injection or Amoxicillin drops in the future if necessary.  I am not sure if she wants to prescribe him any other medicines in the future or not?
Any tips for me?  When/how do you think he got it?  How long ago?  Which drugs that the Vet. may give him help the most? Any that are bad for him?  Any holistic or over the counter things I can purchase to boost his immune system or help him?   Any Holistic Veterinarians that can help me?
Thank you very much for any help you can give me,
Jason