[Felvtalk] Hyper thyroid in cats

Lorraine Johnston johnston1110 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 20 16:50:14 CDT 2019

Amani, I’m not sure who you’re addressing with this latest message, or what you mean by “don’t remember that being mentioned,” but I was responding to the original poster (dlgegg at windstream.net  <mailto:dlgegg at windstream.net-see> – see bottom) who said that her cat is on Felimazole and that one of her prior cats did badly after I-131 (radioactive iodine).

- Lorraine

Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Hyper thyroid in cats

Did I miss something in the original post about FeLV? I don’t remember that being mentioned.

Anyhow, I would reiterate my suggestion to look into CBD Oil if that is also a concern, given the lack of any side-effects reported with its use. CBD Oil could be used along with the Felimazole, as it would not likely have any interference with the other medication, if there was a concern regarding discontinuing one to start the other. However, if you get a good result, you would have difficulty knowing which was responsible.

Amani

Hello,

We have taken numerous cats to Radiocat for iodine-131 treatment -- at least 10 -- in the past 15-20 years. In spite of our mostly good experiences with I-131, I would think hard before putting a FeLV cat through it. If the Felimazole is working, I would be inclined to continue with it.

But if you do want to try I-131 therapy, I would first have a FeLV ‘viral load’ test run. Scanelis in France offers it. I can pass along the info your vet would need to draw the blood Scanelis would need to run the test. They are in the south of France, near Toulouse, and do speak English of course, so communicating is just fine. The cost was about (USD) $109 plus shipping, about $200 altogether.

It’s unfortunate that no US company runs a similar test, not even the older cd4:c8 ratio that I found useful. Sigh.

Best regards,

Lorraine