[Felvtalk] Hyper thyroid in cats

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Sat Apr 20 13:25:49 CDT 2019

Hi dlgegg

I confess to not having had to deal with this yet in my cats. However, I did some research for you and see a few things that might be of interest to you.

First, the radioactive treatment should not have resulted in any nasal bleeding. I couldn’t find that commonly described as a side-effect of the treatment. Perhaps things have improved with the treatment since you last used it on your other cat, ten years ago, and you could maybe ask the vet about that. It is correct that there is a period where the cat has to remain at the vets, until the radioactive levels subside but that seems to be described as a week or so. This treatment is considered permanent, and would then not require ongoing medication.

However, one thing you might want to explore is getting CBD Oil and trying that. Certain strains are found to be very good for hyperthyroidism, and there are no side-effects. I am not sure which state you are in, and whether CBD Oil is legal in the state you are in. It should be as it contains no THC levels at all, but governments have been stupid and schizophrenic about such things. Look up “Medical Marijuana and Hyperthyroidism” and see what comes up. The articles you will see relate to use of CBD for hyperthyroidism in people, but you can get CBD Oil for animals as well.

Amani