[Felvtalk] Hyper thyroid in cats

Gloria gloriajhook at verizon.net
Thu Apr 18 15:47:11 CDT 2019

Thursday, April 18, 2019
Arizona, USA
Hi,
This seems to be an epidemic-my second cat (Phoebe -13 yrs old) is just beginning to get high levels-with no other signs - like vomiting.

Our new vet (just moved to AZ) was going to start her with a higher dose (.5)  than my first one, KiKi- (.25)

KiKi had extreme over-the-top levels -he was 14 when diagnosed and the previous vet prescribed the .25 dose 2x’s a day of Methimazoli

 I’m  using a COMPOUND PHARMACY-in a liquid - using a syringe by mouth. Easy peezy !

I was concerned about the larger dose with a cat that was otherwise symptomless so I called the Vet & left a message- and explained my thoughts and asked if he wouldn’t reconsider a lower dose.

He called back almost immediately and said he was glad I called-he had just been talking to some internists about Phoebe and they said they have NEW PROTOCOLS for dosing—
they are now waiting for numbers to be more out of line before medicating.
So no meds for Phoebe yet!, will recheck blood work in 3-4 months.

I wrote all of that just to say-ask you vet more questions-if you aren’t using a compound pharmacy -try to find one-most will ship meds.

I will _not_ use the other method simply because of the stress the older cat must endure - I think stress is more harmful than the “cure” is helpful. So, you must endure my my 2 cents❤️😁
Gloria-furmommy to 15 cats, most feralborn

-g 🇺🇸
Sent from my iPhone