[Felvtalk] FeLV induced non-regenerative anemia treatment question

Oliver Mccann saveoliver at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 13:27:28 CDT 2018

Hi everyone,
My cat Oliver is 3.5 and has been diagnosed with FeLV and appears to have non regenerative anemia. So far he has been through 5 blood transfusions over the last month, the first 3 in the hospital in the first 6 days, and now he seems to be about a week to nine days in between. We couldn't get him stable enough to do a bone marrow aspiration before we started him on steroids so we don't have the full picture, but I want to do whatever I can to help.
I have perused the archives and I think I have come up with a treatment plan but I want to run it by everyone to see if I am doing it right.
So far I have seen the best treatment option to be
Winstrol – 1 mg twice a day

Doxycycline – 1/5 to ¼ tablet (100 mg) twice a day

Prednisolone – ½ 5 mg tablet, twice a dayThis is the most common treatment I see you guys recommend. Right now he is only on Prednisolone.
I have read about Acemannan and Sodium Ascorbate treatments that may work but I haven't seen any info on that in the archives. Also what so you guys think about LTCI?
Thanks is advance. We have insurance on the little guy so $$ is not much of a problem. We are willing to try anything.
Cheers,
-Ben Pavlichek