[Felvtalk] Food, Bad Jokes, Good Vets

ROBERT CHAPEL bchapel at optonline.net
Fri Mar 10 23:03:38 CST 2017

First... my apologies to those who did not get IMMEDIATELY that I was
joking about using a knife to remove Jelly's fluid....  I thought it
would be a foregone conclusion anyone  one who takes the time to BE in
this forum would ever do such a thing be it from cruelty or monumental
stupidity....   Such are the drawbacks of email communication...minus
facial cues and voice tone...  there are only words on a page.

Re  FOOD:  This is argued perpetually even among vets and animal
nutritionists... There is the " raw only" camp.... the don't EVER let
your cat touch grain camp... The ONLY wet food camp... the Use Multiple
sources of protein camp( don't stay with the same food camp vs...stay
with the same food camp)....ad nauseum...... I am personally an
excellent human example of how genetics influences health... I am a
walking heart attack ( apart from my tendency to like exercise and keep
somewhat active).. On a limited budget now...and ,even when I had money,
so seldom home.. I have been eating " wrong" my entire life.. Meanwhile
a recent Cardiac Vessel Calcium test found my vessels 100% clear ( MD
says I'm good for 10 more years minimum)... 3 friends that have eaten
"right" for decades have recently been Dx'd with heart issues...
Unfair...yes... but fact.    *** The only thing I can somewhat control
that concerns me a lot is making sure that my cats get enough fluid so I
try to be sure that they ( he) get some wet food daily in addition to
the water he drinks.... Don't know that it's a deal breaker but it makes
ME feel better.
I also subscribe to keeping grains to a minimum since cats are obligate
carnivores... I doubt that grains are going to kill them but why force
their bodies to learn to digest something they were not constructed to
utilize unless you really cannot afford better quality cat food... When
my family had the most cats ( when I was young) there WERE no such
specialty cat foods and I had a few VERY healthy cats ( all of them were
indoor/outdoor kitties so some were taken before their time) who all ate
the same garbage cat food ( puss'n boots from a can...later tender
vittles.. and other high grain content foods) and lived to 20 years
old...  In the shelter our cats are all fed the same diet
initially....some thrive... others develop diseases within months on
Science Diet ( their non specialty mid range general cat food)... So...
I buy the best food I can afford ( and that they will eat) and hope for
the best... currently my boy ( formerly my boys) is on grain free
Natural Balance Pea and Venison ( not cheap) and Friskies Pate in the
evening ( my guy will NOT eat any of the high end canned food I offer
him and I went through a year of spending LOTS of money trying
everything so that my sick cat Yogi would eat wet food that had some
medicine mixed in... Baby Food at 109.00 a night... chicken, pork etc...
that I cooked myself) Neither would touch " quality" wet food...  Now my
remaining guy LOVES friskies pate and I LOVE that it costs 50cents a
can!!!... plus I toss him a bit of whatever meat I might be eating on
those occassions that I eat meat at home..... Point is... I don't think
that diet( unless it's particularly horrible)  is going to make THE
difference in a cats health and to not beat yourself up if you can't
afford the BEST OF THE BEST... Most of the human population cannot
afford to eat Doctor recommended diets unless they have fruit trees in
their back yards and a year round vegetable garden... and if you also
want to go organic...Hell...why not just buy a second house!!!
LAST on the list....Vets.   I really like the idea of posting the names
and whereabouts of Vets that we are all pleased with but MUCH more
interested in learning who the vets are that are willing to prescribe
Winstrol...  I like my vet just fine but she's close minded about
Winstrol and that concerns me no end...