[Felvtalk] Gilbert...

ROBERT CHAPEL bchapel at optonline.net
Fri Jun 9 02:08:18 CDT 2017

Amani, Margo et al....
Thank you for the input....  I am quite familiar with oral buprenorphine
having dosed my boys more times than I care to recall...  was hoping
there might be something else as well but after doing my due diligence
on the Web it does appear that cats pose significant challenges when
their pain is not joint related... He's already been on  one course of
Prednisolone...but...frankly, given his condition I don't know why they
are not giving it to him chronically..... and yes...I agree..ANY thing
that can help to reduce inflammation would be a plus...  I was fairly
into Herbal Tx at one time some years ago but need to look more into it
for cats... Wasn't particularly impressed at the results I got but
others swear by Herbs (  potency is so variable it's hard to say for
certain)....  When I took Gilbert it was WITH the understanding that I
would be hospice fostering him... not looking for cures but amelioration
of any discomfort he might have is priority one for ME...  I'm over a
barrel now because if they don't agree with what i feel he needs for
pain I either have to return him to them ( THAT would be very
difficult... or pay for it myself... and that violates the terms of
fostering the cat....  But... I doubt they would have an issue.... they
already know what I will propose if they don't agree.... Buprenorphine
isn't prohibitively expensive if purchased in vials and I fill the
syringes myself... it would be if it were purchased FROM a vet in
prefilled syringes....  Fortunately he does not yet appear to be in
MAJOR pain ( not hiding out, vocalizing, getting aggressive or ceasing
eating..... but his IS uncomfortable and this will doubtless progress as
the tumor grows.....   Will discuss Prednisolone and Buprenorphine with
the shelter vet and director..

Bob