[Felvtalk] 8 Year Old Rescue

Rebecca Pruett rpruettphotography at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:48:59 CST 2017

September of last year I rescued a stray in my neighborhood. According to
my neighbors she has been around for at least 7-8 years. She kept appearing
on my doorstep looking so bad, so I finally took her in and got her to the
vet. She tested positive for FIV and FeLV with the ELISA test. A few weeks
later I had her IFA done. She tested Negative for FeLV, strong positive for
FIV and also a strong positive for bartonella. She's also missing most of
her teeth. She has been on a wait list for a cat sanctuary I volunteer at
for several months and this week they finally had a spot open to take her
in. After getting her there, they did the ELISA test again where she got a
faint positive for FeLV again - almost 5 months after her first test, so
they could not take her in. She seems to be fine. She is eating very well,
keeping weight on, her poops look normal. I am getting another IFA test
done next week. FeLV testing seems to be very confusing. Assuming that her
IFA will come back negative again, as my vet seems to think, does that mean
the ELISA is coming up as a false positive? She's had a very rough life and
I am trying my best to make it better, but having 5 cats of my own I've
kept her quarantined since I brought her in and I am just nervous about her
getting two positives on the ELISA.

Thanks!