[Felvtalk] FW: Greetings & Bogey's Doc Visit

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Thu Jan 5 19:47:39 CST 2017

I would suggest 1 mg 2x a day then, Sherri. I had Zander on 2 mg 2x a day but only right at the start for a month or so to “kickstart” the process because his haematocrit was soooo low. I think the usually recommended dose for Winstrol for cats is 1 mg twice a day. I gave Zander his pills all at once – prednisone, Winstrol and Doxycycline. I suspect that the problems you encountered are far more likely to be related to the higher Winstrol dose than the staggering of the medication.

Now that you have clarified the dosing for Bogey, I think that the problem was the high dosing of the Stanazolol. I think if you drop it by half, and keep everything else the same, you might get a better response. Frankly, though, it is the very fact that the numbers tumble every time the meds are pulled, that convinces me that it is definitely the meds that are making such a significant difference in the levels. I really found, with Zander, that it took more than 10 months before the numbers would “stick” – ie – when I discontinued the meds, that the numbers wouldn’t start to immediately decline, and I was testing him weekly. I could always see an immediate reaction in the blood work, if I pulled him off the Winstrol.

With Zander, after the 10 month period, I was able to wean him down, but that probably took another 6 months or more. Thereafter, I watched him like a hawk, and any time I saw his gums or ears fading in colour (and I got pretty good at seeing it, as you might imagine) I would put him back on the meds for a 6-8 week course, and that tended to straighten him back up again.

I don’t know what to make of the description of icteric, because, like I said, the only way serum would become icteric is from an elevated bilirubin count, and the bilirubin was completely normal. However, even if the tech mixed up the description, that doesn’t mean the lab results are mixed up. The latest results are awfully close to the results from before December, so I wouldn’t assume they belong to another cat. Determining if a sample is icteric simply requires the tech to hold up the tube and look at the colour of the serum. It is possible she wrote down icteric on this sample, but it was another sample which was icteric. I am fairly confident that the serum was not icteric, though.

Amani