[Felvtalk] Help with Yeast Infection

Corinne Shank cms9323 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 21:24:04 CDT 2016

My cat who is 7.5 years old has had on and off yeast ear infections for the past 2 years.  After the last infection that did not respond to treatment,  I asked the vet to see if she had any immune deficiency issues as I had read that yeast was opportunistic where cats have a suppressed immune system.  Unfortunately the test for Felv (Elisa) came back positive.   I am just devastated as she is my little princess.   When I got her as a kitten,  she had tested positive but tested negative a month later.  I was told that if a kitten tested negative after positive,  that she had shed the virus and would be free of Felv.   I guess that is not the case.    I would have never brought her home if I had any idea that she was positive as I have another cat who was and still is Felv negative.

So the problem I have now is what to do with her ears.   The vet said to use Gentizol every couple of days to keep the infection down.  Are there any other recommendations?