[Felvtalk] Help with Ash, Coles brother

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Fri Oct 21 23:22:38 CDT 2016

Hi Karen

I am able to read the bloodwork. I do not see what you mean by it coming through jumbled. In my email, I am able to easily read the bloodwork.

The blood work looks pretty good actually. The only thing that is low and concerning is the platelet count, but there are clots in the bloodwork, so that has pulled out the platelets from normal circulation. Thus, it is impossible to tell whether the platelet count is actually low or falsely reading low because of the clotting in the blood. (Next time – ask the vet assistant to immediately mix the tube drawn for the haematology blood work. For haematology tests, the tube contains an anticoagulant to stop the blood from clotting but if the blood is not mixed fairly immediately after the blood is collected, you will get clotting.)

The neutrophil component of the white cells has jumped and is a bit elevated, and there are neutrophilic bands, which are immature neutrophilic cells. Elevated neutrophils suggests a bacterial infection. Try a broad spectrum antibiotic, since you don’t know whether the bacteria is a Gram negative or a Gram positive organism. Orbax (Orbifloxacin) is such an antibiotic. I suspect that the injection your vet also gave Ash, is Gravol or some such thing, that acts to reduce nausea and vomiting. This probably settled his stomach and that is why he is feeling better.

From the bloodwork, Karen, there is nothing to worry about. This is a transient bacterial infection.

Amani

P.S. – I had to cut off your email in order to get this email to post on the FeLV chatline. (BOY IS IT ANNOYING – couldn’t the limit be extended??? I had to try to post this answer four times.)