[Felvtalk] Cat Sanctuary

Amy awilkins23 at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 10:11:10 CDT 2016

Hi all,
I just wanted to write about my comment about the cats that we have taken in converting. I'm referring to the cats that have come into the rescue where I volunteer, not my personal cats. None of my personal cats have ever converted that I know of. I have do have one positive that has been with me 12 years that I have not retested. He was positive on the IFA and snap when I rescued him so I never bothered retesting. His bloodwork also still shows signs that point to him being positive. My other cats lived varied lives with the disease, some less than 2 years, some 4-8, some 10-12.
We do not see a ton of leuk positives at our shelter. We have had 6 in the two years that I have been there, a mom and 4 kittens, and an adult. All 6 were able to fight off the virus and retested negative on several later tests. We did not do anything special other than quarantine them, try to reduce stress (which is not easy in a shelter environment), feed them a quality food and retest at 30, 60, and 90 days. Even though the recommendation is to do an IFA if you get a positive SNAP, we always wait 30 days and resnap. The reason for that is we often take cats in from outdoors that may have had casual contact and may initially test positive but fight it off. The IFA is expensive to do if we think the cat might fight it off. If when we retest, the cat is still pos, we do the IFA to confirm. The mom and the 4 kittens all converted as well as the adult. We held them until they tested negative on 3 different snap tests each over 30 days apart. My guess is that the test caught the exposure right after it happened. My understanding is that this is NOT the norm. I'm not surprised about the adults fighting it off but I was pretty shocked by the kittens. I adopted one of the kittens that converted because I have a leuk positive and all my other cats are vaccinated. We ran 5 different brands of tests on him and 4 of the 5 repeatedly come up negative but for some reason he tested positive on the Witness test. So just in case there is a trace of the virus there that could be passed on, we didn't want to put him into a home that wasn't prepared for leukemia. My vet has no explanation for why he tests positive on the one test and neither does Zoetis but they all consider him negative based on all the other test results. So odd. Either way, he has a forever home with me. If he is positive, so be it. If he is negative and the test is goofy, even better. I continue to retest and get the same results. Neg on everything except the Zoetis Witness test. Makes me question what others say about the virus going latent and coming back later. I have heard numerous people tell me stories about cats that tested negative numerous times, lived with them, never went outside, never had contact with other cats and then came up positive later in life. Hard to say for sure when I wasn't there and don't know if there was any chance of exposure, but makes me stop and think for sure. I often question the reliability of the Zoetis Witness test and my vet has since stopped using them.
That's my story.Amy