[Felvtalk] FW: Amani thoughts for Winstrol

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Sun May 15 20:52:33 CDT 2016

Hi Everyone

I definitely agree with Ardy. I think that often, valuable time is lost while we are either given no options at all by the vets, or options that are not proven to succeed. Also, there is often an initial “crisis” of some kind, that heralds the start of the virus getting an upper hand in the body. My experience and what I’ve heard from others is that, generally what happens, is that we then heave a sigh of relief and think we have dodged a bullet. We take our babies home and everything goes back to normal (normal appetite, normal playing, normal behaviour, etc.).

However, I think our complacency and our desire to believe that everything is now all right, is dangerous and the fact that the vets DON’T tell us that this is usually just a deceiving lull, is really problematic. Ardy is right – the virus is usually doing its dirty work quietly, without us noticing until it is sometimes critical, and I agree with Ardy, that a stressful situation can allow the virus to dominate.

With my Zander, he had a “mini” crisis in July where his blood results were very bad, and then he recovered. The vet mentioned it might be FeLV, but we didn’t know what that was. When it “went away”, we figured we Zander was okay, and since our vet didn’t recommend any more treatment, we didn’t think any more about it.

Then, in September, he crashed BADLY. The ER clinic showed me his blood in a vial and I know what blood in a vial is supposed to look like, and Zander’s looked like water with some red dye in it. His haematocrit was FIVE! (Normal is something like 25 to 45). He was put into an oxygen tent because he didn’t have enough red blood cells to transport sufficient oxygen to his cells.

In my view, in hindsight, I should never have let up in assuming that the FeLV virus was there and needed to be treated. I believe I should have started Zander on Winstrol and Doxycycline immediately. I shouldn’t have allowed the virus to keep reproducing (Doxycyline would have interfered with its reproduction) and the Winstrol would have encouraged progenitor cells to be produced in the bone marrow and would have pushed back against the effect of the FeLV virus on the bone marrow.

Frankly, I also think that the Winstrol/Doxycycline combo is compatible with many of the other treatments people are using, and I see no reason why Winstrol/Doxycycline can’t be added to the other regimens. For example, Margot, you mentioned you are using Interferon and a very low carb diet. If you are running blood work at all, Margot, you might want to consider putting your cat on the Winstrol and seeing if you get an improvement in his blood work. I realize you may not want to, if things are looking okay right now, but again, the Winstrol will either won’t and you’ll be able to see in a four weeks at most.

Again, if we had a website, we could keep track of what people try and what results they get.

Amani