[Felvtalk] TIGGER

Margo toomanykitties2 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 06:17:41 CDT 2016

A hematocrit of 19 is cause for significant concern. It could also eplain the lethargy. What did the Vet do to address this? Is the anemia regenerative, or non-regenerative?

>From the Feline CRF site; http://felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

"Technically, a cat is anaemic if the PCV level is below 30% (or with some labs, 25%), but you may not start to see any differences in your cat's behaviour until the level is closer to 20%. Below 20% is generally considered to be severe anaemia, and it really must be treated as a matter of priority. Dehydration will make PCV look higher than it really is, so once the cat is rehydrated, PCV will often fall. In other words, your dehydrated cat may have, say, a PCV of 26% which does not indicate anaemia, but once the dehydration has been corrected, the PCV may have fallen to 20%, indicating anaemia is present."

I recently had a cat present with a PCV of 19, which ended up at 14 after re-hydration. She had a transfusion, and is now on Darbepoetin. Her last PCV was 38 (YAY!). Her anemia was likely renal related, but since these numbers have pretty much returned to normal, no-one's really sure at this point. Regardless of cause, anemia that severe needs treatment.

All the best,

Margo