[Felvtalk] TIGGER

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Tue Mar 8 00:34:56 CST 2016

Do a full haematology panel (including the reticulocyte count) and do liver enzymes (biochemistry).

Ask for all your cat's results to date. If you let me know what they are, I can decipher them for you. You will probably see are reduction in red cells and haematocrit results, and you may see a reduction in platelets and white cells. FeLV can attack any or all of the three cell lines (red cells, white cells or platelets). The problem is that it shuts down the bone marrow where precursors of these cells are produced. Winstrol turns back on the bone marrow's production of these cells, so you will hopefully see an increase in any low levels in these results (most likely the red cells and haematocrit results).

When the bone marrow starts to produce these cells again, you will also see a rise in the reticulocyte count (which is also a reflection of the level of activity in the bone marrow).

With respect to the liver enzymes, if your vet is not firmly working with you, expect that he/she will insist that you stop the Winstrol when the enzymes rise. RESIST. You've got to let the Winstrol work and it takes a long time. The liver enzymes will go up but will come down after Winstrol is discontinued and the more important thing is to reverse the FeLV crisis. If you think the vet will not listen to you and leave your cat on the Winstrol, then don't ask for the liver enzymes.

After a few weeks on Winstrol or perhaps a month, run the lab tests again to see if you are getting a response. However, I would be surprised if you wouldn't already see a difference in your cat's eating, playing and overall wellbeing.

Amani