[Felvtalk] Twigs- Felv and asthma

ashley egger ashleyeegger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 17:18:59 CDT 2016

Hi there!
    I've been lurking for sometime, ever since my cat Twigs was diagnosed
about a year ago.  I figure it's time I post something and put myself out
there and hopefully some of you may have experience or suggestions with
some of things I'm facing.

    Twigs is 2 years old, got him from a rescue where he tested negative
and was vaccinated against Felv.  Then he developed a cough, I took him to
the vet and got a terrible surprise- he tested positive (and had been
exposed to no other cats since adoption.) so I'm guessing he got it while
with the rescue or a false neg. the first time.    Anyway- vet diagnosed
Felv and stomatitis, but his bloodwork was perfect.  He acts perfectly
normal- eating, playing, etc.  I am just filled with dread at the thought
that he may not always be like this. Back at the vet today for check-up-
had them do another Elisa test- still positive (damnit) but bloodwork still
perfect and he has actually gained weight (a plump healthy 10-11lbs) and
vet said he seemed remarkably healthy. He still has the cough and vet
diagnosed asthma after I showed her a video of him having one his
"spells."  He does it on average once a day or every other day.  She
prescribed advair inhaler for the asthma and full extraction of all his
teeth for the stomatitis.

My questions I guess are:
-Anyone have cat with both felv and asthma?  any concerns with inhaler
use?  Is this the best treatment?

-Any thoughts on the stomatitis and anyone have experience with the
extractions?  Is this the best treatment?

-Also what can I do to prolong this mostly healthy time for Twigs and
prevent (or at least delay) his decline from the felv (ugh I HATE that word
so much.)  Realistically how much time do I have? I feed him good grain
free food and he takes multiple supplements currently.

   I will do whatever I can to prolong his life and comfort, but cost is
definitely an issue too.  Anyway thanks in advance for any help.

-ashley