[Felvtalk] FW: different types of Felv

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Sat Jun 11 14:20:04 CDT 2016

Ardy

Thank you for your nice compliment. I think that the problem is that doctors and vets work in a world where they are well aware of the extreme and potent dangers posed by microorganisms. They presume that the rest of us know it too, but they don’t realize that precisely BECAUSE of the very effectiveness of vaccines, many diseases are rare now, so people dismiss them as not a big risk or not very dangerous. For example, I had to recently explain to my niece that German measles isn’t just a disease where you get a skin rash over your skin for a few days and then it disappears. I had to explain to her that German measles was once the cause of more than 20,000 babies born with severe defects such as major deformities, mental retardation, deafness, blindness, etc. or they died in utero – that was in 1964. I am not old enough to have this in my personal memory banks, but this knowledge and respect of the dangerousness of the virus, comes from my Microbiology training. Doctors and vets all learned this too and because they are reminded on a daily basis of the dangerousness of the world of microbes, I think they lose touch with the rest of the world who hears very little about these infections now, and thus (a) never developed a healthy fear of these diseases and (b) assume that the diseases must no longer be around or no longer be a problem. They are around and just waiting for that chink in the armour, to re-establish themselves, as we saw in the case of the measles outbreak in Disneyworld. German measles was the Zika virus of yesteryear (except measles was far more prevalent) and the only reason we aren’t as panicked about it now as we are about Zika, is thanks to an effective vaccine for measles.

However, Ardy, I am not sure about the FeLV vaccine. First, I understand that there are several different types of vaccines available. Second, the problem is that the vaccine is not effective if the cat already has the infection. I have found an Information Sheet from the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery (2013), which I will send to you directly, since I cannot attach things to emails on this chatline. Bottom line seems to be a recommendation to vaccinate as long as the status of the cat is tested first and is negative, and other cats in the house are similarly tested and are negative. However, they do red flag the fact that there are a bunch of different vaccines and most of the testing of those vaccines was only done by the company making the vaccine (ie – those who stand to benefit from the sale of the vaccine) and there are few studies comparing the effectiveness of the vaccines against one another.

I promise to keep digging but for now, I have too many other urgent fires I must put out at work! (I haven’t left the office before midnight for at least 3 weeks now.)

Amani