[Felvtalk] different types of Felv

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Thu Jun 9 14:52:05 CDT 2016

Rachel

I don’t think I suggested you are an anti-vaxxer, so I apologize if you took my comments that way. However, what I do suggest is caution and a healthy inquiring mind regarding interacting with people who are giving out faulty, unscientific advice about vaccines (and there are a lot of them, though their voices are far more muted now since the measles out break). I don’t think a vet who suggests spacing out vaccinations or one who measures titres are at all anit-vaccination. These are prudent measures to take and I agree that our animals likely hold their immunity, when vaccinated, a lot longer than a year (which is why measuring of titres makes sense – you are measuring the reactivity of the immune system to a particular antigen, to determine if the animal is still responsive to the introduction of the bacteria or viral antigen). However, my caution is to remind people that even with some problems with some vaccines, we shouldn’t respond by moving 180 degrees in the opposite direction. We should also not pay attention to those who call for a blanket rejection of vaccines. This is a dangerous strategy.

On one point, though, I want to make a comment. Vaccinations are not just about one person or one animal. Vaccinations are also for the good of the community. Those who DON’T vaccinate are only safe because they are cocooned inside a grouping of a whole lot of other people or animals, who had to take the risks – no matter how big or slight one perceives those to be – of being vaccinated. That is why many states, provinces, etc., have rules about what vaccines kids have to have before they can go to school. If your choice meant that your own child and only your own child was put at risk, that is one thing. But that is not the case. In the German measles outbreak that happened in Disney world, I seem to recall that several young children under the age of two, died and/or were left permanently damaged by the infection. Children under two cannot be vaccinated, so they truly must rely on the rest of us being vaccinated to keep the infection away from them. So while there are elements of personal choice, where an infection can spread to others in the community, I think that takes the issue out of solely being personal and elevates it to a community issue. The saying in law is along the lines of, “your rights end where mine begin”. However, I agree with you that you have far more flexibility with indoor cats, keeping in mind the proviso that Margo mentioned – that circumstances happen and our cats get out, with or without us meaning to have that happen.

I also agree with you completely about the rabies vaccine, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they found that the immunity the animals garner, holds for a lot longer than three years. I think what you are describing your Tampa vet does, is prudent and makes a lot of sense.

Amani