[Felvtalk] both of my cats are FELV positive. What to do now?

Rachel Dagner rdagner at novahrc.com
Tue Jun 7 10:27:05 CDT 2016

Hi Realissa,

I am sorry to hear about your babies, the diagnosis is a real heartbreaker,
I know. If you are interested in a holistic approach to keep them healthy
there is a really good book called The Nature of Animal Healing by Dr.
Marin Goldstein. He is known as one of the best integrative vets in the
world, integrative meaning he uses conventional and holistic remedies for
his patients. He has cured animals that owners were told were not curable
or that conventional medicine alone did not work for. Which I think is the
best kind of vet. His clinic is  based out of New York, if I lived there
and had known about him that is where I would have gone for my baby right
from the get go, no doubt. He has a section in his book on what he has done
for FELV kitties to keep them healthy and from developing the bad things
that can come along for FELV cats. I think the biggest thing I have learned
about FELV is that we should probably not vaccinate them, especially if
they are indoor cats. Vaccinations do a number on even a healthy animals
immune system. He does have suggestions on how to keep them strong if they
must endure vaccinations due to state laws, and suggests that if you do
vaccines that you should not do them all at once or in combo doses as this
is too much for the immune system to handle at one time. There is a very
real reason they have now* finally* started doing 3 year vaccinations
instead of yearly, even though Veterinarians have been pushing for it since
the 90s.  The side effects, the sick animals, the cancer that they have
caused… it is all very scary and with a FELV or immune compromised cats and
dogs even more so.  I hope you can push past the fear, come up with a solid
game plan to do the best you can for them and then just enjoy them and put
Felv on the back burner and go on as normal. This is what you have to do,
and you will, and you will come to terms with the situation and move
forward. I will pray that your babies stay healthy and happy for many, many
years to come.

Rachel