[Felvtalk] A good vet is hard to find . . .

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Mon Jun 6 12:13:31 CDT 2016

Hi Realissa. I don't know any vets in the Los Angeles area, but I am not sure too many vets are really experts on FeLV anyway. Many of us in this support group have shared experiences where the vets just want you to put FeLV cats down. There is a group of vets, and a particular mindset in the vet community, that says that if they can put down all the cats with FeLV, they can eradicate or at least significantly reduce the incidence of the infection, so you may detect undercurrents of this philosophy in what some vets recommend or how they talk to people with FeLV cats. This is especially so when we get a particularly virulent response to our desire to help these cats - we can sometimes be accused by the vets of not considering the well-being of the cat and being selfish and only thinking of ourselves. (I have always thought this to be a very weird concept - that if I don't want my cat dead and buried six feet under, then I am the one not looking out for my cat's well-being.)

Anyhow, I would say this to you: it is far far more important to have a sympathetic vet who is willing to try different things you have researched, which may be effective with FeLV, than looking for an "expert". If you like your vet and you have good rapport with him or her, have a frank discussion where you indicate your determination to see what can be done to help your cats, and ask the vet to support your decision to do this. This was the greatest gift my vets gave to me when I was dealing with Zander. I had a long history with them, and they knew I wasn't stupid and they also knew my philosophy of never giving up on an animal unless there really was no hope, so they stepped back and let me try different things. They had never heard of LTCI, for example, and I told them I had found information about it on the internet, brought in a print-out and they agreed to receive the product which I had shipped to them. They gave him injections on schedule and drew the bloodwork I wanted, in order to assess LTCI's effectiveness. They continued as long as I wanted, and then, when I stumbled upon the Winstrol, they were equally supportive (and pretty amazed at Zander's response).

In my opinion, that is the very best you can hope for with a vet - a partner with you who is there to support you and give you advice and suggestions as needed, and not to give you the guilt treatment because you are fighting to save your cats.

I'm sorry that I am not familiar with NHV felimm, and I don't recall anyone else in this group ever mentioning it either. See what you can discover on line. See if there are any scientific papers that indicate it is effective.

Amani