[Felvtalk] both of my cats are FELV positive. What to do now?

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Sun Jun 5 21:24:04 CDT 2016

Hi, welcome to the group!  First off, don't panic.  If they appear to be
otherwise healthy, the most important things are a low stress
environment and a high quality diet.  My Harley & Milkdud each lived 4.5
years after I adopted them, in generally good health until the virus
changed to its active form.  Brock only lived a year and a half (but he
was probably close to 5 when he died).  All were doing great until 10
days to 3 months before they died.  Harley did have a severe upper
respiratory infection (10 days in the hospital) 2 months before he got
cancer, but those 2 months between, he was a happy boy, his usual
rambunctious self, causing all kinds of mischief.  All 3 got cancer in
the end - 2 lymphoma, and Harley's was an inoperable tumor that started
in the middle ear and spread down to his jaw.

Brock had a heart condition and was on 5 prescription meds plus 2
supplements for that.  I gave lysine when Harley got his upper
respiratory infection, but I'm not sure it did much.  I think I gave it
to Brock also.  He lived with Harley, but never got the infection.  I
will always wonder if Brock might have been the source.  But it was 2-3
months between the time I adopted Brock and Harley got the URI.  Mice
would get in sometimes, and a week or two before Harley got sick, he
caught a chipmunk in the garage.

Some lucky FeLV+ cats live 10-12 years.  I have had 2 vets say they see
an average survival of 2.5 years, with a range from 6 months to 10+ years.

Marsha