[Felvtalk] Negative IFA test

Corinne Shank cms9323 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 22 13:18:06 CST 2016

I think that there are many unknowns and that the virus can live in many forms.  I have had my cat for almost 8 years.  The last Elisa test on her before I took her in, at about 3 months, was negative (after an initial positive test).  At the time I already had a cat (1.5 yo) who was negative.  I was assured that she was negative and would not have Felv. They are both indoor cats and are not exposed to others.   So why after having her for so long,  does she now test Elisa positive and IFA negative?  Has the virus been dormant for 8 years?  I have researched on Internet and it seems that there are many unknowns.

It would have been impossible for me to separate my cats after 8 years together and the stress of keeping them apart would have been hard on them and me.  So they live together and my other cat is fine so far (he is vaccinated).

  I found the following on the website of the SNap test manufacturer about discordant results and found the comment about true status not being known to be interesting.

this is an ELISA-positive and IFA-negative status. Discordant results may be due to the stage of infection, the variability of host responses, or technical problems with testing. The status of the cat with discordant results may eventually become clear by repeating both tests in 60 d and yearly thereafter until the test results agree. Unfortunately, a substantial number of these patients have persistently discordant test results and the cat’s true status may not be known. Cats with discordant test results are best considered as potential sources of infection for other cats.

Sent from my iPad