[Felvtalk] Negative IFA test

Corinne Shank cms9323 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:45:02 CST 2016

My cat tested positive for Felv a few months ago from an Elisa test.  I had her tested after she had persistent yeast ear infections and I had read that immune suppressed cats were prone to yeast infections.  In addition,  when she was a kitten she tested positive but then tested negative.  I was told that she had shed the virus and that is why she tested negative.    She is now 8 years old.

So I put off getting the IFA test as I wanted to see how she did and I felt that she probably was infected.  I finally took her in to get the test and it came back negative.  So I know that the virus is not in her bone marrow.  But what does this mean?  The vet said to bring her back in 6 months for a snap test to see if she has shed the virus, but is this really possible?

Sent from my iPad