[Felvtalk] Bogey's Blood Test Today These look worse PG 2

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Wed Dec 21 01:14:35 CST 2016

Hi Sherri

Yes, I agree with you that the biochemistry liver enzymes look worse. The rest of the biochemistry tests look fine, but the ALT and AST have gone up, and they didn't repeat either the Total Bilirubin or the GGT, which are the other results that assist in assessing the liver.

However, Bogey is doing better by your description, so be patient and continue with what you are doing. I still think that you could hold off for another little while on the Winstrol and Doxycyline and that is supported by the liver enzyme test results. However, there has been a noticeable drop in the haematocrit. You're still within the reference range, but this is the same thing I had witnessed with my cat, and how I affirmed for myself that it was the Winstrol/Doxycyline which was causing the increase in the red cell parameters, because every time I tried to reduce the dosage or stop the medication, I would see an immediate drop in the numbers. It seems pretty clear that (a) the increase you saw at the end of October was because you added the Doxycycline to the Winstrol treatment regime. You got a dramatic jump in the numbers. Now, when you stopped the Doxycycline/Winstrol, you see a definitive drop in haematocrit levels. However, as I said, you still have a significant cushion before the numbers get concerning again.

I agree with your vet that your cat has some sort of bacterial infection. The significant number in white cells is quite marked, and when you see the breakdown, that increase in white cells is almost completely composed of neutrophils, which is the type of cell which increases in the presence of bacteria, versus lymphocytes which increase with a viral challenge. Your vet should consider adding another antibiotic, in addition to the Doxycyline. Something broad spectrum, perhaps, like _____.

I also not the excellent news that the platelet count has actually doubled. This is really, really wonderful, and quite dramatic.

The basophils are elevated which can happen with liver problems or may reflect an immune/allergic type response (along with mast cells).

Overall, she is still looking pretty good, but I agree with your concern about wanting to wait a bit more on putting her back on the Winstrol/Doxycycline. On the other hand, your vet might be concerned about the slippage, and may not want to lose ground.