[Felvtalk] FW: FW: FW: FW: Update on Bogey My FELV + Cat

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Thu Dec 15 20:39:06 CST 2016

Sherri

Because she is probably dehydrated, the urine will be darker like that. She is probably also getting rid of some of the jaundice, so it is likely a combination of the two issues, causing the darkening of the urine.

If you have given insulin in the nape of the neck, you probably already have the technique down pat. The fluid is allowed to pool in the area beneath the skin. As for Bogey not sitting still, again, you can give that fluid rather quickly if you can’t keep her still for too long. I have had the vet clinic “load up” my cats with fluids, very rapidly, and send them home with me with a big bubble of fluid present in the back of the neck (which often slides down to under their chin) and the vets informed me that there is no problem – the body will absorb the fluid at the rate needed by the body and anything excess is excreted.

In terms of the amount, ask your vet for a recommendation. When I am giving fluid, I tend to give as much as possible in one go (to a reasonable amount of course) to minimize having to insert a needle in every few hours. Bogey is small so maybe only 100 mls or so. I will usually monitor how quickly the fluid is absorbed and if it goes quickly, the cat is more dehydrated and needs more fluids, so I will increase the amount I give in one go.

I agree you should also consider letting her sleep. That is an important part of recovering (not to mention important for you as well).

Amani