[Felvtalk] Brock update

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Wed Apr 27 20:45:19 CDT 2016

My sweet FeLV+ boy Brock has taken a bad turn.  He has been doing really
great, and only a week and a half ago celebrated his 1 year anniversary
of being diagnosed with Restrictive Cardiomyopathy and Congestive Heart
Failure.  Only 20% of cats with that diagnosis make it to the one year
mark.  Brock is on 5 heart meds and 2 supplements, and has been doing
great.  About 2 weeks ago, his appetite seemed to be a little off.
Sometimes he would eat all his food, sometimes not.  He occasionally
catches a mouse that gets into the garage, so I wondered if he was full
when I brought his dinner. This past Saturday, he was really fussy about
taking his pills.  He has always been really good about eating his pill
pockets, no hassle for me, no dropping them into his mouth.  Now he is
balking at taking them even after I dip them in wet food (and they are
already in pill pockets).  I coax and coax, and have had to manually
pill him a few times.  He will eat 4 and leave 1, then I have to give
that one manually.  Or eat 2, and I have to give him 1.  Now he wants
baby food, but only eats some of it, then more later.  He gets his
supplements mixed with his food, 1 of which is potassium, so he needs to
eat his food to get it.

He had a blood panel done yesterday and a physical exam.  The vet
confirmed the enlarged lymph nodes I felt in his neck, and said there
were enlarged nodes in the back leg area also.  Brock's PCV is only 18%,
meaning he is anemic.  It is non-regenerative.  A needle aspiration was
done on a lymph node, and the cytology should be back tomorrow.  My
biggest fear is lymphoma, and it's going to tear through like a wildfire.

Marsha