[Felvtalk] Plan for Coco

Margo toomanykitties2 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 28 13:30:10 CDT 2015

I'm a BIG proponent of s/n, especially pediatric in shelter/rescue situations. I've teched in Animal Control facilities, and worked as a volunteer surgical tech for a private s/n program. That said, there are times I make different choices. Immune compromised animals are one place where I re-think. With a positive older female cat, I would have to carefully weigh the risks. First, no access to unaltered animals is a plus. Not subjecting her to the stress of anesthesia and surgery/recovery is a plus for a + cat. The possibility of mammary cancer and pyometra are negatives. The fact that she never shows signs of heat should be taken into account, too. To ME, her age puts her more at risk, as well. You might want to sit down and right it all down, to help you clear your mind. Talk to your Vet.

Right now I have a 4-6 month old puppy with demodectic mange. This is evidence of a compromised immune system. While he did come from a shelter (scheduled for euthanasia), and should have been neutered before coming to me, they allowed me to wait. I have no female dogs, nor are there any close by. I had a frank discussion with my Vet, and we have decided to wait. Maybe years. And with a male dog, we have the option of chemical castration. That may be the way to go, but I don't need to decide yet.

I can't tell you what to do. I had a little cat that never went into heat (that I could tell) and she had so many health problems that she was never spayed. She was the only one so far, because I usually have them done at 8 weeks, and that's that. But her health problems were already clear, and I knew she would never go up for adoption, so I made a different choice.

HTH

Margo