[Felvtalk] Stanozolol (Winstrol(R))

Ardy Robertson ardyr at centurytel.net
Tue Oct 20 21:12:40 CDT 2015

Hello – can I chime in here a bit? My cat Tigger is on Interferon (7 days on then 7 days off and repeat) for FeLV. I think it might be helping but his appetite is poor and I have to syringe feed him. Surprisingly a very large syringe seems to work better than the small ones. I go slow to make sure I don’t choke him and he might aspirate food into his lungs. For his comfort (and mind) I fold a heavy bath towel in half and put it around him the same way they do to us when we get our hair cut…then I clip it in back with a large office binder-clip. He doesn’t feel like I am restraining him and has actually gotten used to it, so less stress which is important for FeLV+ cats. Also I do feed the critical care food thinned out a bit but when he got constipated, my vet had me give him a couple tablespoons of pure pumpkin (no spices) and it worked wonderfully. I know he needs calories of good quality, but I think he also needs some carbs and bulk in order to keep regular, so I mix some baby food chicken (the #1 kind for little babies) and some rice baby cereal with some water. He does not seem to mind it. I also give him some water. He has since started eating fairly well, but still not drinking as much as he should. He is also on the appetite stimulant you mentioned.

I had not heard about Winstrol before. The vets in my area have always euthanized cats at the first mention of FeLV so treating Tigger is a big of a learning experience for both of the offices that I take him to. I believe taking him to both clinics is sort of giving him a second opinion and they are both telling me they are learning about treating FeLV from him. Thank you very much for allowing me to be a part of this group and learn.

Ardy Robertson