[Felvtalk] Merlot status update

Maya D'Alessio mdelow at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 22:19:10 CDT 2015

So we can say relatively conclusively at this point that this is the FeLV,
as his blood cell counts are going down and everything else has been ruled
out.

His fever hasn't changed, which is good and bad. Good that it's not worse,
bad that it's not responding to drugs. We got to take him home tonight and
I've just got him settled in Phil's office, where I'll be sleeping with him
for the night. He's definitely in better shape than this morning, more
perky and like himself, but we are still on high alert.

The vet says he has roughly a 40% chance of a good prognosis. She's seen
cats come back from this with FeLV, and others don't. We are taking him in
first thing tomorrow to see the vet again and get re-evaluated, and we will
make some more decisions about drugs at that point. The vet has agreed to
try Winstrol tomorrow if the fever hasn't come down (he's on two
antibiotics right now, an anti-nauseant and she upped the prednisolone).

--
Maya D'Alessio
PhD student