[Felvtalk] Lymph nodes

Amani Oakley aoakley at oakleylegal.com
Sun Nov 15 22:54:58 CST 2015

The question of how low the RBC count "should be" is really the wrong question. If your cat has problems with a low or dropping RBC count (and/or the retic count is abnormally low, showing that red cells are not regenerating), and possibly other cell lines are also dropping or dropped (platelets or white cells), try Winstrol - 1 mg 2 x a day. If the red cell count is REALLY low and it is an urgent situation, start the Winstrol at 2 mg x 2 a day. The Winstrol is great for re-starting red cell production, and increasing the RBC and haematocrit levels, and very likely a positive effect on the other cell lines.

Winstrol also boosts appetite, muscle development and improves general well-being.

You can keep a cat on Winstrol for months and months, and this is necessary when a cat is extremely anemic, or has other problems like lack of appetite, general malaise, etc. It is also very effective for muscle problems (eg pulled muscles) and other conditions like relatively minor spinal injuries.

What may happen is that the liver enzymes will rise, freaking out your vet, who will insist that the Winstrol be stopped. DON'T LISTEN. I had my cat on Winstrol for at least 60% of the next 7 years after his FeLV decompensation, and even though his liver enzymes would occasionally rise, there was never any liver damage and the enzymes would go back to normal when he was weaned off the Winstrol.

With my cat, after he was over the FeLV crisis (which took the better part of 8-10 months on the Winstrol) and I weaned him off, I would watch for signs of the anemia returning (gums and ears and pads getting pale, licking of cement, etc.) and I would put him back on the Winstrol as needed for several months. Worked like a charm every time.

The cost is quite affordable. It's about 50 cents per 1 mg tablet.

Expect significant resistance from vets, who for some reason would rather prescribe known ineffective treatments like Prednisolone and antibiotics (which can never really address a FeLV crisis or condition). Other members of this chatline have indicated success with other treatments like Interferon or LTCI, but I carefully tracked my cat on these other treatments, with weekly blood tests, and at least for us, these other treatments didn't result in ANY increase in red cells, white cells, platelets or reticulocytes.

At the outset of our cat's severe FeLV crisis, we had him on a combination of Winstrol, prednisolone and doxycline. As he improved, I reduced all the levels, and dropped off the other 2 and left him on the Winstrol.

Amani