[Felvtalk] My Harley is gone

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Fri May 15 20:24:59 CDT 2015

My sweet little FeLV+ Harley, just barely 5 years old, went to join his
buddy Milkdud across the Rainbow Bridge today.  There is a pet cremation
service about an hour from me that does individual cremations, and you
can arrange to attend if you want to.  I put his catnip heart in with
him, and a dandelion blossom, covered him with the petals from a red
rose, and then let some of my tears drop onto him.  I sat with him
outside in a glider chair until they were ready for him.  The weather
was nice, and I looked out into a peaceful wooded area.  Only the very
slightest breeze, so the rose petals didn't blow away.  I carried him
inside when they were ready, but didn't remain for the process.  I chose
an urn that looks like a black cat (like Harley) crouching to pounce on
a mouse.  I may put it in his favorite hunting spot, if it doesn't upset
Brock (Harley's FeLV+ roommate).

The last several days, Harley could only have broth (tuna juice, the
juice from Fancy Feast Appetizers, etc.) and he had a difficult time
getting even that down due to the growth of his cancer.  Rather than
take the chance of him choking on his broth over the weekend, I took him
to the vet to help him cross over.  He remained in bed nearly all the
time the last 3 days, but thanks to his pain meds, he did enjoy some
pets, tummy rubs, and naps in his last days.

Marsha