[Felvtalk] Harley will be starting palliative radiation treatment

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Tue Mar 24 13:09:19 CDT 2015

Harley starts "palliative" radiation treatment for his cancer within a
week. There will be 4 sessions. I opted not to go for the full course of
21-22 sessions, which has more side effects, and could cause ulcerations
on skin, which could lead to infection, which (since he's FeLV+) is a
place I DON'T want to go!! The goal and hope is to buy him some relief
for 4-6 months. I wish we could get started sooner, because the tumor
has grown (behind his eye now), but they have to pull together the team
to make a detailed treatment plan.  This oncologist told me this morning
that a full biopsy isn't necessary to make a treatment plan - it would
only delay the start of treatment, and there would be risk involved in
the surgery. Meanwhile, he will be getting meloxicam and/or
buprenorphine for comfort care.

Marsha