[Felvtalk] Newly adopted sick babies. Help

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Thu Jan 1 16:45:34 CST 2015

There are 2 viruses that impact the feline immune system.  First we need
to know which one you mean.

FIV = Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
FeLV = Feline Leukemia Virus

Here is a quote about both from the Cornell website:

Virologists classify feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) as a lentivirus
(or "slow virus"). FIV is in the same retrovirus family as feline
leukemia virus (FeLV), but the viruses differ in many ways including
their shape. FIV is elongated, while FeLV is more circular. The two
viruses are also quite different genetically, and the proteins that
compose them are dissimilar in size and composition. The specific ways
in which they cause disease differ, as well.

HIV, Human Immunodeficiency Virus, is also a lentivirus, but different
from both FIV & FeLV, and none can be transmitted between cats and
humans.  There also has been little to no success using human AIDS drugs
on cats with FIV/FeLV.

Marsha