[Felvtalk] [OT] two sick cats

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Mon Feb 23 16:48:32 CST 2015

Vets around here tend to avoid Metacam and favor Buprenex.  I worry
about the kidneys with Metacam. Hopefully they went with a minimal dose
for Sidney.  A dose of longer acting Buprenex seems to be recently
popular in my area, for post-dental pain relief.  Then the owners don't
have to give any pain killer at home.  But I have had 2 cats apparently
hallucinate on that.  One was very mild.  She was sitting on my lap, and
trying to catch a string or something that was floating in the air just
above.  It was a very brief occurence.  The other had a more pronounced
reaction.  He thought he saw a mouse and was intent on catching it.
Every time I moved what it seemed to be under, there was nothing there,
but he made a dash after it to its new hiding place.  At first the other
cats believed there must be a mouse, and they joined the chase.  After
about a half hour, they realized there was nothing there and wandered
off.  He seemed to see it for a another hour or two, but he must have
spent around 12 hours checking the places he thought it went.  He didn't
sleep for more than 24 hours.  My vet put a note in his file.

Marsha