[Felvtalk] Light positive reading

Maya D'Alessio mdelow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:19:35 CDT 2014

>From a scientific standpoint, it is logical.  It means that there is low
amounts of antigen in the blood, but it is present.

Some of the older tests used to only test for antibodies, well a cat that
has been vaccinated, or exposed ever, is going to have antibodies.

The SNAPP test looks for the actual antigen from the virus, and is thus
much more accurate for actual infection.  If there is a weak positive, it
would mean that there was not very much virus found.  Could be a good sign,
as in the cat is fighting the infection off, or could just mean they were
exposed very recently, or the strain of the virus they have has a much
lower viral load (number of active viral particles in the body).

--
Maya D'Alessio
PhD student