[Felvtalk] Respiratory Infections

Gerlinde Bernhardt-Davis putzi_52 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 08:19:51 CST 2014

We brought our Zuzu home from a a rescue organization last January. She had conjunctivitis almost immediately (which we later found out she had previously) and were prescribed Fucithalmic ointment. We were also told to give her Enisyl-F (lysine) twice daily. Within a month we repeated the whole process and were told that Zuzu should probably be on Enisyl-F long term. She also had an upper respiratory infection at this time and was prescribed Clavamox. Two months later another upper rsp. infection and more Clavamox.At that point we did extensive bloodwork and a Respiratory Disease panel. The results showed that Zuzu was Fel. Leuk. positive and positive for Mycoplasma bacteria.We gave her Doxycycline for two weeks. After one week antibiotic free the resp. infection was back and we were told to give her doxycycline for three weeks.One week post antibiotic, back to sneezing etc. Then it was a 6 week course of doxycycline. Near the end of that she was sneezing and coughing and her conjunctivitis came back. This time we were prescribed Baytril for 10 days and she was given an appetite stimulant. This was the only time she seemed somehow "off". She has now been off the Baytril for about 3 days. There is some sneezing and coughing but nothing too significant. Through most of these bouts Zuzu has maintained her appetite and is full of energy. My question is this: do we keep on treating the respiratory infections even though we're running out of antibiotics to try? She seems so healthy otherwise and as I said, is full of energy and has a healthy appetite. Any insight would be appreciated. She is still  on the Enisyl-F and a multi-vitamin.
Gerlinde