[Felvtalk] Suggestions on mixed test results

Amy awilkins23 at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 16:44:18 CDT 2014

I posted about a month ago about 5 kittens that tested positive for leukemia.  We found a sanctuary in MI that would take them but we agreed to keep them until they were 12 weeks and retest to make sure they didn't throw off the virus.  They were retested today and one tested negative.  One tested a strong positive.  Another tested a very faint positive and the others were moderate positives.  The tech suggested that we consider the negative one positive since he has been living with the other positives.  I totally disagree with this as I'm thinking this cat threw off the virus.  He is being tested again on Tuesday.  The rescue is at a loss as they have been taking up room at their shelter for these kittens and now they don't know what to do.  If we hold them all, we may lose placement for the strong positive and it is not easy to find someone to take them.  If we send them all, we may be sending ones that are in the process of fighting off the
 virus.  If we hold them, do we separate them from each other.  Suggestions?

History - 2 adults were taken from the same household.  One mom (Callie) had 4 kittens already born and one mom (Mimi) was pregnant.  She had one baby that died a couple days later and another one which tested positive for leukemia.  The 4 other kittens also tested positive as well as Callie, the mom.  Callie was sent to a sanctuary but when she was retested, she tested negative.  She has been returned to the rescue and will be up for adoption.  Her combo and IFA came back negative.  So these 4 kittens that nursed off her probably were exposed to circulating virus which she later fought off.  Maybe they were all exposed to another cat in the house with leukemia.  Anyway, the moms are both now negative but we are at a loss as to what to do about the 5 kittens.  Ideally, I'd love to keep them all and retest again but that puts the rescue in a real bind.  We could lose our transport, our placement, etc.  The rescue can not hold them
 indefinitely.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Amy Weygandt