[Felvtalk] Harley's checkup

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Sat May 24 14:11:54 CDT 2014

Harley had a checkup yesterday.  He was a FeLV+ kitten 3.5 years ago,
that I got as a companion for Milkdud, who passed on May 20. Harley has
been symptom-free, full of energy, with an appetite for everything
(except whipped cream cheese, which was Milkdud's special treat -
thankfully, he didn't have to deal with Harley trying to hog it).

All Harley's blood numbers looked great, except his Total Protein is a
little elevated at 8.6 (normal 5.4 - 8.2), and his Globulin being 6.2
(normal 1.5 - 5.7).  His weight is a few ounces more than his last
checkup (probably due to all the extra food I've been offering since
Milkdud took ill).  The vet also noted some mild inflammation in the
mouth which he thought was stomatitis.  I've heard some awful things
about advanced cases of stomatitis, so am cringing at the thought of
this progressing.  But at this point, it does not cause Harley any
discomfort.  He eats wet food, crunchy treats, and the occasional mouse
that gets in the garage.

The elevated globulin can mean a few different things - the vet
mentioned inflammation or FIP, and I found a couple other possibilities
on the web.  I plan on a follow-up in 6 months unless there are new
symptoms.  I am also looking at anti-viral drugs that I might start
Harley on, which could mean an earlier checkup to check blood values.

Marsha