[Felvtalk] Milkdud died happy

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Thu May 22 11:34:31 CDT 2014

Milkdud had 2 good weeks after he returned home from the hospital, but
then declined after that.  I had thoracentesis done last Friday to
remove 110cc of fluid due to pleural effusion.  He breathed easier, but
didn't seem to feel too good over the weekend, and didn't want to eat.
All he would accept was fresh green grass shoots that I picked for him,
which really brightened him for a bit, and his favorite treat of whipped
cream cheese, which he licked from a spoon.  Tried mirtapazine, then
Cerenia the next day to no avail.  Buprenorphine helped a little, just
not his appetite.

On Tuesday, Milkdud's breathing was becoming labored again and his gums
were very pale.  He laid on the cool cement floor in the garage in an
attempt to get comfortable, but looked miserable.  When I placed his
carrier in the van, he began to purr and his eyes brightened.  He knew
he was going to see the doctor, and the doctor would make him feel better.

It was the most gorgeous day possible after thunderstorms Monday,
mid-seventies, sunny.  The vet's office has a vacant lot next door, in
back of their building.  There was lush green grass and bright yellow
dandelions. Milkdud stepped out of the carrier into grass.  He was weak,
so soon laid down, but looked around in wonder, and made biscuits in the
grass with his paws, and purred.  I spent time with him before the vet
came out, and then the vet took his time, going slowly to make it as
peaceful as possible.  Then the vet went back inside, while I spent time
laying in the grass next to Milkdud, petting him and picking the best
dandelions to send along with him to the crematory.

I am sad and crying and in pain, yet glad that for once euthanasia lived
up to its meaning, "good death".  It's not always possible to choose
your time to coincide with such perfect weather, lovely surroundings,
and caring staff.  But Tuesday, it all came together.   For that, I am
so grateful.

I am taking Milkdud's FeLV+ buddy Harley to the vet tomorrow for a
checkup.  Harley has been symptom-free for 3 and a half years, since I
got him as a 4 month old kitten.  Any special blood tests I should ask
for, besides CBC and chem6 or 7 panel?  I have read recently about some
vitamin deficiencies in cats with FeLV or lymphoma, like B-12.

Marsha