[Felvtalk] Just tested positive

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Thu Jul 24 17:16:39 CDT 2014

Note to Maya on interferon alpha:  that is human recombinant interferon,
much easier to obtain and less expensive than Virbagen Omega, which is
feline recombinant interferon that must be imported.  I feel that the
feline recombinant is a better choice, and currently can afford it, so I
will go with that rather than the human version when the time comes.
But....we all seem to be pioneers here.  You'd think that with FeLV
being the one of the biggest causes of cat death, there would be more
research, more certainty on courses of treatment. But while I've heard
of one or two vets that swear by LTCI, more say they've had no luck with
it.  The latest "flash in the pan" is a drug from Malaysia.  A couple
years ago, the company signed up with another company that helps them
through the FDA approval process.  But that takes a long time, and what
if the company fails before then?  There has been at least one product
that was being used in FeLV+ cats where the company went belly-up.  Not
approved by any govermental agency, but being used off-label, some
people felt it was helpful.

Marsha