[Felvtalk] Just tested positive

Lance linimon at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 24 16:37:57 CDT 2014

I’m very sorry to hear about Yang’s passing and that Merlot has tested positive. Hopefully, Merlot has a lot more time ahead of him.

I used interferon alpha and Liquid DMG fairly regularly for my Ember. She also got Transfer Factor (human formula; not the one for cats), but I wasn’t consistent with that and was uncertain about its efficacy. I might have eventually looked into LTCI, but my vet did not like the lack of third-party data on the treatment. However, that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t work.

FeLV is scary, but don’t lose hope. Ember had minor illnesses here and there: sneezing (likely due to allergies) and an occasional day or two of diarrhea. For the latter condition, I would fast her for 12 hours (going much longer could cause liver damage), and I would feed her canned pumpkin (not pie filling but plain pumpkin) for a day to give her some fiber. These problems weren’t frequent for us, thankfully. Blood tests were moments of anxiety at times (Ember usually had low wbc).

Ember lived for at least eight years from testing positive to her death two months ago. I would have liked to have had her longer (she was a little over 12 years old), but I feel very fortunate for all the time we had together.

Lance