[Felvtalk] Just tested positive

Katherine K. kathstix at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:32:02 CDT 2014

Hi Maya,

I'm so sorry for your loss of Yang. Is Merlot also 3 years old? Last year I
had a litter of 4 kittens who all tested positive at 3 months of age. We
lost the first one at 8 months, and the last one died this May at 1 year
old. They were all very healthy and active until the last week or two of
their lives. My 12 year old cat was also diagnosed with the virus last
July. He was very sick then, but bounced back and is doing well now. He has
some minor health issues but energy, appetite, bathroom and
comfort/happiness levels are all normal. Every day I have with him is a
gift.

Yes, you can be pro-active now. The key to maintaining good health is to
feed high quality food, keep them indoors, in a low-stress environment, and
make a vet appt ASAP if something isn't right. You know him best, don't be
afraid to trust your gut.

For my 12 year old cat, since his initial illness, I have been giving him a
booster shot once a month of LTCI (http://tcyte.com/). It is not
inexpensive, unfortunately. A more economical immune system booster is
alpha interferon, which is given by mouth daily. You can search the mailing
list archives or website for more info on both of these, and talk to your
vet to decide what treatment might be best for you.

Let Merlot's happiness and joy for life guide you. Play with him, love him,
take video and photos of the two of you together having fun. It's tough
knowing they'll be gone too soon, but let that help you cherish the good
times together.

We aren't vets here, but we can offer you experience and support.

Katherine