[Felvtalk] Positive to negative

Mercy Cats mercycats at outlook.com
Wed Jul 16 17:19:34 CDT 2014

I just found out that a couple of young cats (nine months old or so) that had been abandoned in a county park, and that I caught and took to a local humane society last month, were euthanized because they were felv+.   The cats probably wouldn't have survived the virus; they were emaciated and one had lost the sight in one eye because of an untreated URI.  But the shelter tried to tell me that felv is ALWAYS fatal, and I realize it's difficult to get people to adopt + cats, but I know some adult cats can shake off the virus.
Our garage cat, Snowball, originally came to us from our veterinarian because we were the only ones who would take a leuk+ cat.  That was in December 2008.  At the time we had Harley who was dumped as an FeLV kitten.   Harley died six weeks later.  Snowball tested negative for FeLV in August 2013 and again in February 2014.   I've seen a few postings by people who have also had cats go from (+) to (-).   Does this happen more often than most people think?